Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Philadelphia Flower Show Exhibits

Other Philadelphia Flower Show Exhibits were a great mix of what I'd call achievements of landscaping. The fact that they can wheel in all these plants and trees (20 feet tall!) and get them all to bloom at the same time. Some exhibits had bits of humor to them. My pictures probably don't do justice to the show itself so go see it while it's still here! One thing I learned the hard way, If you're taking the Speed Line or Septa to 5th and Market then you actually don't need to step outside to get to the show. Walk to the other end of the mall and make your way through The Gallery and up to the Convention Center. There is a lot of walking involved there but at least you're inside.


The landscaper here clearly loves bulbs. I enjoy bulbs too but only becuase they usually bloom early in the year and they're the only thing of interest out in the garden. They did a nice job.


Mixed Rhododendrons and Azaleas aren't plants I used to like. But after seeing this display I can really see how they can be used well. It's almost like a field of wildflowers. I know some are native to the US so maybe I'll look into getting some.


This was a neat tree. Below it was a black pond that reflected the colors beautifully.


The effect is a little lost here with all the dirt but that's a dog bone and a women's shoe there. There was a dog house here and it had the name Caesar on it. A joke about the Italian theme.


This was a door to nowhere. I like the colors, especially for the trees.


This was a Koi Pond with some very nice fish in it. They're usually sold for more than $20 each and despite being gold fish you can eat them.


One of the more interesting gardens I think. They used seashells as the walk way... not something to walk barefoot but I think structurally it was well thought out.


I really like the pond here because it has some sort of green ... I suppose some sort of tiny lily pads growing on it like a slime. The effect is something I wish my pond had.


One of the exhibits featured paintings. Though not incredibly original they were done well. Other paintings included replicas of The Mona Lisa and Michelangelo's David.


The picture I took here doesn't do this justice because it was one of my favorites. I love the stone walk way with the various plants growing around it. It was one of the few exhibits to feature some tall trees (if I recall right), and they used more than just bulbs in their display.


This was so ugly I just had to take a picture of it. The exhibit here wasn't incredibly ugly or a failure by any means. It has lots of Orcids all over it growing along walls and in pots and so on. But it featured these bushy thatch or moss clumps all over it and had these black tulips growing in them. The two ideas really didn't go well together. Many of the plants were under glass but they were also using plastic water bottles under them with light shining under it. I serously didn't get it at all. I assume it was trying to say something about sustainability and recycling... but then why have all the Orcids and ugly Tulps?


Another favorit of mine. The colors worked well together and the plants might even bloom around the same time. Yellow Crocuses mixed with assorted Irises. I could really see this working out in real life.


There were also smaller exhibits there that were entered by people. I didn't really pay attention to these but I liked the consept. All the plants used for these were small enough to accuratly represent a model of perhaps a larger plant.


I suppose you'd have to call these tiny rock gardens. These also caught my eye. I really like the use of these tiny plants.