Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Spring Blueties

One of the Bluets, Houstonia caerulea, I planted last year is already flowering. Right now it looks like a unique little blew jewel in the yard. In time hopefully the others will start blooming and maybe in a few years I'll get them to create the illusion of a spring snow fall as I know they're capable of doing.

Also emerging is Spring Beauty, Claytonia virginica. Right now it's a very grassy looking thing, easily to get lost in the lawn. Corms must send up multiple shoots as I certainly didn't plant that many in that location.

Individually they're not much to look at. Hopefully the smaller plants will fill in some.

Down below I see several of them have a small cluster of flower buds waiting to unfurl. I'm dying to know if they'll be white flowering with pink vanes or pink flowering with magenta vanes. They're planted specifically around an Eastern Redbud, Cercis canadensis, and I'm hoping they all bloom at the same time.