Thursday, April 14, 2011

More Spring Wildflowers

I was out planting the prairie garden and every now and then I took a short break to see what's flowering around the yard. 

Hepatica sp. 
This is still blooming from a few weeks ago. It's mostly past it's prime but I still love it.
Twinleaf, Jeffersonia diphylla
Twinleaf is notorious for it's short lived flowers. I will be amazed if it still has all it's petioles tomorrow.

Spring Beauty, Claytonia virginica
Spring Beauty has just started flowering today. The blooms are only slightly larger than those of a Bluet. I wish they were a little more pink but they're pretty all the same. I should get lots of flowers out of these by the end.

Jacob's Ladder, Polemonium reptans 
One of the plants going in the prairie garden is Jacob's Ladder. Of 10 or so plants I found one of them had started blooming. I think May is more appropriate a time for them to bloom but this is welcome all the same. Hopefully the prairie grows well and I'll have more blooms to report back with later in the summer.